Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Conversations with the Children

Dinner table. 6:00 PM. The boy and I are sitting at the table. In front of my son is his plate, which contains a small, but completely untouched portion of meat loaf.

Me: Aren't you going to eat your meat loaf?
Boy: No.
Me: Do you like hamburgers?
Boy: Yes.
Me: Do you like cheeseburgers?
Boy: Yes.
Me: Same thing. Now here you are. Have a bite.
Boy: No, I'm tired. My tummy hurts. I'm full.

Fast forward two hours. Boy, pajama-clad, watches Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and plays with Plah-Doh whilst awaiting the command to go upstairs and get ready for bed.

Me: Hey. What are you eating?
Boy: Nothing.
Me: You are clearly chewing something. What are you eating?
Boy: Ice cream.
Me: No, you finished your ice cream ten minutes ago. Please, tell me what you're chewing.
Boy ... Play-doh.
Me: (Stunned silence.) Are you telling me you won't eat meat loaf, but you'll chew Play-Doh?
Boy: (Smiles. Continues to chew.)

1 comment:

Kristyn said...

Just for the record - my meatloaf looks better than that one (: