Thursday, May 21, 2009

It's Our Life.


This may seem totally silly, but I am truly bothered by the whole John and Kate plus Eight insanity. I admit it - I myself have enjoyed their company in my home. Some people may say "She is so annoying", but you know what, I think most Moms can see a little of their selves in Kate, whether they want to admit it or not. We all look so happy and well-balanced in our PTA meetings, but I know that sometimes I am low on patience when it all starts to build-up. I am so frustrated that they have become way too self-focused and have let the fact that there are 8 blessings to be accountable for in the end. I know there are instances when people truly need to get out of relationships, but most of us just take the easy way out when things get tough. How can we be proud of being part of a generation span where 50% of marriages end in divorce?
One of my friends said that "There is only one way out of this marriage - feet first in a box". There are things in life that deserve your "Old College Try" and that is family.... be it your spouse or your blood relatives.

I was brought to tears when my cousin read these words at our wedding:
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
John and Kate say it in much more plain language and I think of this often: "Life gets pretty hectic.... although the stress doesn't bring out the best of us, we're a family and we're in this together - it might be a crazy life, but it's our life.

I Love You Sweetie!
P.S. What are you willing to fight to the bitter end for today?

3 comments:

Gavin Hurley said...

Bacon! And Star Trek!

Kristyn said...

Such an honest man!

Anonymous said...

Who is the world is Kate and John? I've never heard of them before and they are all over the place. Does everyone watch them but me?

And your words are beautiful.