Friday, April 24, 2009

"Green Day"

When I was in High School and College I was very passionate about a lot of issues. My husband was surprised to hear that I had participated in several marches on Washington in my "youth" during our viewing of "Milk" the other night (lots of rally scenes in that one). The topics have varied over the years and some I no longer believe in or feel as strongly about, but one has stayed permanent and that is Earth Day.
I participated in the Earth Day Rally in DC in 1990 and it was actually the 20th anniversary of Earth Day, so it was huge and crazy! I looked up that particular year on Wikipedia and this is the entry "Mobilizing 200 million people in 141 countries and lifting the status of environmental issues onto the world stage, Earth Day on April 22 in 1990 gave a huge boost to recycling efforts worldwide and helped pave the way for the 1992 United Nations Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro." It was a warm and sunny day and all of the groups were out - some of the protesters were average, but some were definitely using a great deal of shock value. It was pretty cool to see as a senior in high school.

Fast forward 19 years later and here I stand celebrating the end of "Earth Week" for my son's school. I asked him what we do for the earth and he says "We Recycle for the World". He's a smart cookie and today he celebrates with Green Hair!

Do something kind for our amazing planet today - put out a recycling bin, buy some cool bags and keep them in your car for all your shopping trips, turn out a light and enjoy this sunny beautiful Spring day!

2 comments:

laurenthequeen said...

I remember wanting to go to this, but couldn't since it was on Sunday. I also have a vague memory of going to a concert or something the Saturday before?

Kristyn said...

Hmmm - I can't remember the concert. I was wondering why you weren't in the pictures. No I know.