Wednesday, April 1, 2009

News about Bruce

UPDATE: THIS WAS AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE. Seriously, you think the cat pried the back door open with his paw? And to those of you who believed me, read the first paragraph again!

On this first day of April, I regret to inform our reading audience that our beloved friend, Bruce the Cat is no longer with us.

Some time during the night, I believe he was able to force open the back door with his little paw and wander off.

I knew there was something wrong this morning when he didn't greet me like he normally does, by meowing and trying to convince me to feed him. Concerned about his absence, I found the open door, stepped outside, and called his name. Instead, I heard the sudden, rapid beating of goat hooves. I followed the sound into the dark, and there, by the light of the moon, discovered Bruce's collar lying in a circle of goat prints.

Yes, gentle reader, I believe Bruce was eaten by the neighbor's goats.

The hardest part, of course, will be breaking the news to my children, and teaching them that sometimes, God makes goats eat kitties.

Bruce T. Cat, RIP.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What? That's the saddest most tragic story I've ever heard. Eaten by goats? Do goats eat cats? Yuck! Well, I have another cat for you, Maria from CAWL. She's on my site. Of course, after a respectful mourning period of course.
Eaten by goats? Yuck!

Sean and Shannon said...

Seriously, a goat? While the death of a family pet is sad I'm sure he would have much rather have gone by way of a speeding car or taking his last breath while choking on a chicken bone, a pack of ravenous goats, disgusting! As far as the kids go, I truly believe that lying is the best thing to do here. Make that cat out to be a hero and it will be okay. Good luck! And another reason to not like goats, they're creepy and eat cats, ewww!

julie said...

oh my gosh! i logged n with my morning coffee and expected a cute story about the little ones or a nice example of witty banter between you and hubby not this tragic goat story! i am so sorry, i'm thinking now is not the time to discuss the circle of life either.

Kristyn said...

April Fools! I told Gavin that he needed to crack the facts on this post, but he seems to think that you are all savvy enough to know this was an April Fool's joke.

Poor Julie was very upset about the incident!