Monday, January 26, 2009

Batman is a Superhero

Although the contents of this weblog are typically reserved for the crazy and cute little antics of our tiny children, I nevertheless feel it is important to preserve, for the public record, an issue of contention between my wife and I. You may believe this issue is irrelevant, unimportant, and perhaps even ridiculous, but for those of you who are familiar with me there can be no mistaking the gravity of my wife's error.

Krisytn says that Batman is not a true super hero because he wasn't bitten by a bat.

When I demand an explanation for her woefully mistaken assertion, she says that Spider-man is a super hero because he was bitten by a spider. But since Batman was not bitten by a radioactive bat, conveying to him superhuman powers, he, therefore, is not a super hero.

I point out to her that Batman is a master of the martial arts, possesses the deductive mind of Sherlock Holmes, and carries out his mission with an indomitable will, she dismisses my rebuttal as useless.

At that moment, I realized Kristyn's suggestion to watch Batman Begins isn't because she's curious to watch Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker, or to enjoy Christopher Nolan's remix of the otherwise tired action franchise. She wants to give me the chance to watch a "guy" movie on our little movie night.

Thanks, hon. But Batman is, most certainly, a super hero.

8 comments:

laurenthequeen said...

1. I knew this was a Gavin post as soon as I saw the picture.
2. It made me laugh.
3. My 8 year old nephew asserts that as far as superheroes go Batman is "the only one that's real" for the exact reasons why Kristyn discounts him as a superhero. Can you really argue with a 8 year old when it comes to superheroes?

Kristyn said...

I just think he is a vigilante. I mean Spider Man has the power to scale walls and spin webs, Batman has no such "Super Powers". Case closed - Not A Superhero!

I think someone has hijacked my Blog! I was just surprised to see Batman as you were - I thought where in the world did this come from.

Anonymous said...

Well how did Batman become a super hero? Inquiring minds want to know. You need to change your password Kristyn.
Puna

wil said...

well, Krystin. You don't understand comic book heroes. A superhero doesn't have to be bitten by a spider or come from another planet. They can be superheroes because of their skills and abilities.

Take Iron Fist for example or Atom.

Batman is a superhero because he knows several forms of martial arts, including ninjitsu, jujitsu, karate, and 4 others.

He is also a trained chemist, biologist, and detective. He is also the ONLY superhero that Superman trusts and he is the only superhero that can take Superman out.

Here is a little something for you to enjoy - http://www.ironwil.net/writings/?p=71.

W.

The Reisterstown Butler's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Reisterstown Butler's said...

I now understand why my hubby likes your hubby so much!

laurenthequeen said...

Wow. My husband just showed how much of a geek he truly is.

Kristyn said...

Well - Gav was just saying that he needs to find a group of guys to hang out with and judging from the responses there are plenty of guys that share his warped perceptions of the world!