Sunday, August 3, 2008

Date Night


My dear husband is always thinking of new and fun things for us to do. This month he suggested "date night" where we would put the kids to bed and then make dinner together. Our menu was Pesto with Shrimp and Linguine along with bruschetta - Yum! Hubby took the kids off to bed and I started the prep for dinner. In the process of getting everything out I totally forgot about the bread under the broiler and much to my surprise it was on FIRE in the oven -smoke alarms and all. While it seemed like an ideal opportunity for a fire drill I decided to pass and yell upstairs that all was fine. I then opened the back door to find out that the bottom hinge had come apart and the door could no longer shut. This was pretty poor timing since all of the rain from the storm was now blowing into our kitchen. Needless to say I was soaking wet by the time I finished fixing the door. Hubby then comes downstairs to find burnt bread and a soaking wet wife. I don't think this is how he pictured the evening.

Things were great once I changed and the smoke literally settled. We enjoyed preparing our feast while we sipped a little wine and caught up on what was going on with this and that. Back to the meal - we made pesto with our fresh home grown basil and brucschetta with our just picked tomatoes. The best part was that we were able to eat in peace and quiet.

I'll fill you in on date night next month but I don't think we can top the antics of this one though!

2 comments:

Helene said...

Ok, my first comment was very nice, then got caught up in this signing up for blog stuff, so it got lost. I need to have a date night with the hansome man. SOunds very romantic, uh, minus the fire :-)

Gavin Hurley said...

I'd like to point out that the pink splotch on the window sill in the photograph is Playdoh.